Sunday, June 20, 2010

Figure Skaters are Sissies


I'm watching "Blades of Glory" right now and it made me think about stereotypes and representations of characters in the media. This movie is hilarious because it really runs with the idea that male figure skaters are sissies. Except for Chad Michael Michaels of course. One of the main characters, Jimmy, is the perfect example of the stereotypical ice dancer. He has feathered hair, wears lip gloss, and has a certain grace to his movements. Will Farrell's character is the antithesis of what people think of when they think of male figure skaters. Let's face it, Brian Boytano (sp?) has never been seen as the epitome of manliness.

In this sort of comedy, the stereotype is hilarious. What makes it even funnier is the addition of the alpha male figure skater and his interaction with the sissy man figure skater. The movie is so ridiculous no one could ever take it seriously.

2 comments:

  1. I think it two or three years ago in the summer that I knuckled down and caught up on some of the Will Farrell back-catalog...I know I'm contractually obligated to embrace ANCHORMAN, but I have to confess that my favorite film of the lot was, in fact, BLADES OF GLORY. Gender & Farrell films--there's a 496 project for somebody!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you and Bjorn, that movie deff is about stereotyping and Will Farrell is always in movies like that. It makes me think of Zoolander and the male models who are stereotyped as vein, stupid and useless. It's too bad about the figure skating stereotype because that's a hard sport for good athletes and endurance unlike modeling where you only have to look good. Sorry but I think modeling is the most shallow field of work and will admit for people who do it for a living, I have very little respect for. MODELS- YOU contribute nothing to make this world a better place, unless you donate. Get a real job. But figure skaters, I admire them. Go Farrell for doing these gender and stereotype films, he's a riot.

    ReplyDelete