Thursday, June 17, 2010

Boozy Floozy


In the Media Students Book it says that post-feminism is upon us. It basically means that we're past the feminist movement, and have entered into a period where women no longer need to fight for equality. In this new era of post-feminism, we see women who are in the working force, yet are paid less. Women who are free with their bodies and sexuality, yet are under pressure to be skinny and sexy. I thought that these lines of contrast were striking. Women have come so far, but it seems like we have some ways to go.


One thing in that section that was interesting to me was the comment made about women drinking with the boys. This is something that's very notable in my generation. When I was growing up I was a party girl. In college I was a party girl. Now... not so much, but I can still party when the occassions arises (it's just not a tri-weekly occassion anymore!). This comment, and thinking on the drinking habits of my wonderful female generation, made me think of Ke$ha. We all know her, and her catchy tunes and garbage pail wardrobe. But I'll tell you right now. I'm not a fan. I understand some people are mature enough to see the humor of her lyrics, but what about the young girls that are listening to her sing about brushing her teeth with a bottle of Jack? If you think of it this way, we didn't grow up with songs so blatant, and look at me? I was out drinking all the time. What are these young girls going to be like when they grow up? YIKES! I don't want to know...


I guess my main concern is safety. If you're out with your girls, make sure you are not putting yourself in vulnerable situations. Waking up in a bath tub can't be a good sign, right?

1 comment:

  1. This was just my thinking when i first heard that song. Theres something about the combination of the lyrics and her voice make me think of little girls drinking and partying. It was really annoying and when it first came out it was like everywhere (everyone was listening to it. I think the young girls listening to it , as you said, won't understand the humor behind it, and i also think that the lyrics glorify that whole lifestyle being a lush and a party girl. And really... as they'll find out, it is in no way glorified or dignified.

    ReplyDelete