Friday, July 9, 2010

Ooo, Research.


As I was reading my text book today, I really came to appreciate all the information resources we have. We can find out almost anything just by clicking a link or opening a book. Obviously, internet searches are the easiest way to get to information. My favorite way to research on the internet (for school work) is to search academic databases. You can find some great material, and majority of it is peer-reviewed, so you know it's factual. But academic databases aren't always practical.

I was recently looking for a hotel in Bar Harbor, ME. I used Google to find the best one. If you know how to use search engines, you can get some great results. I used the maps feature, and typed in "hotels in Bar Harbor". It pin-pointed ever hotel and bed and breakfast in the town and listed them along the side of the screen. I'm a super-nerd when it comes to stuff like this, so I spent about four hours researching different places. I looked at the websites and read reviews, and all this was provided my the maps feature. It was so easy to get the information I needed to make an informed decision.

Imagine having to look for a hotel without the internet? How did people do it? Google is awesome, and I got a sweet deal on an awesome bed and breakfast. So pumped! Acadia, here I come!

P.S. That's a picture of sunrise on the top of Cadillac Mountain. Did you know that if you stand there at sunrise, you'll be the first person in the U.S. to see the sun?

No comments:

Post a Comment